Every year we get invited to the Owosso High School, Culinary Arts Class to share with the students about coffee.
Last week was "Coffee Week" for them and we spent 6 hours with 4 clases of about 25 students each. Sharing about coffee is a lot of fun for me, as we talk about the history of coffee and how it was "discover" which is still a mistery to how to brew a cup of coffee at home.
During each class I learn how our new generations of coffee lovers are more and more exigent with the appearance, quality and story of a cup. The third wave coffee is showing us the progress and interest on more than just a cup of coffee and it is fascinating.
Also we teach coffee "classes" (more a conversation) every month at Fireside Coffee Co. in Flint, Michigan. Last class was by far one of the most interesting as we did a pairing with coffee and food.
We did five rounds of coffee drinks and food like this:
1. Bruschetta with drip cup of our House Blend. A delicious combination of salty and savory notes with our spicy and creamy coffee.
2. Scone with a Espresso Shot of Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe. An amazing pairing with some faces surprised!
3. Chocolate bar with a French pressed Sumatra, Lintong dark roast.
4. Cheese cake with a pour over Honduras, Las Mataras.
5. Fruit cup (blueberry, strawberries and pinnaple) paired with a Chemex brewed Ethiopia, Yirgacheffe.
It was overwhelming to see the response and attention of the people and the excitement that even drove two of the attendants to do a presentation in their offices about coffee.
We love coffee not just because is amazing, but also because it connects people too!
Hasta la vista!